Aesthetic Dental of Barbados
Cosmetic Contouring and Reshaping
Tooth reshaping and/or contouring is a cosmetic dental procedure used to correct crooked, cracked, chipped or overlapping teeth by removing a small amount of tooth enamel. The removal of such enamel, therefore, changes the shape, length, surface of the tooth/teeth making it more aesthetically pleasing. More often than not, contouring is combined with other procedures such as teeth whitening and dental bonding.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Tooth Reshaping/ Contouring
Though tooth reshaping can be viewed as a conservative approach to changing the look of your teeth, it is not exempt from its cons. This section will compare the pros and cons of such a procedure. Pros of Tooth Contouring include:-
- Painless. There is generally no pain involved with the removal of some of the surface enamel of the tooth. Because this procedure is mostly painless, no anesthesia is necessary.
- Cost Effective. This is one of the least expensive ways to make subtle changes to the look of your teeth as compared to other procedures such as veneers, braces, etc.
- Improvement to the health of teeth. By correcting minor imperfections to the teeth such as overlapping teeth, plaque is unable to build up in the areas where the teeth lapped. As a result, the risk of getting gum disease and decay of the teeth, in these areas, are lessened.
Cons of Tooth Contouring include:-
- Risk of tooth damage. If too much tooth enamel is removed during the contouring procedure, the tooth can be left quite sensitive. Moreover, the tooth/teeth could be at risk for tooth breakage.
- Small Change. Tooth contouring, on its own, does not make startling changes to the look of your smile since it is a procedure used to correct just minor imperfections to the teeth.
Is Contouring/ Reshaping for You?
If you are looking to change a minor imperfection to your teeth so as to improve your smile, then by all means contouring might be the procedure for you. However, this procedure will not be applicable to persons suffering from gum disease, decaying teeth or persons who have root canals. If you are interested in having this procedure done, you can set up an appointment with us at Aesthetic Dental to see if this procedure is right for you.